Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Dog Park Dreaming

Today I laid around and thought about what I think makes a good dog park. I have been to many different parks and they were all different. The one constant was all but one were fenced in, which gives a better sense of security to both dog and human. Although the one dog park I visited that wasn't fenced in was fun because I was able to visit with non-dog people and people with food! So a large fenced in area with some shade would be where I'd start if I built my perfect dog park. For the inside there would have to be water fountains or dishes so we can keep hydrated while we play. Grass seems to be difficult to keep when a lot of dogs are running around, so either I'd have a HUGE place to spread the fun out and be easier on the grass, or I would put wood chips down. Wood chips also help keep me from getting super muddy and having to be washed off before going back in the car. Wood chips would also make it so the area wouldn't need to be mowed and mowing cuts all the tennis balls up so I can't play with them anymore. Now my dream dog park will be fenced and have wood chips. Then there also needs to be a lot of tennis balls. I don't like sharing so there has to be enough there for every dog to have there own. An obstacle course might be fun for some dogs, so I would put one of those in a corner of the park. Judeau doesn't like to play while he's at the park, he just likes to pee on everything, so I would put some benches and enough trees spread out to keep him busy sniffing around. There really isn't much needed to put together a great dog park and now that I'm thinking about the qualities I have liked best about all the ones I've been to, I think my dream dog park would be a combination of the one in York, Pennsylvania and the new one in Paso Robles, California. The York park because of its 13.5 acres of fenced spaces, beautiful trees, grass and hills and the Paso Robles park because of its drinking fountain, pool, toys and wood chips. 


This is the layout of the 3 dog fenced in dog areas in the John C. Rudy park in York, PA. The first area is approximately 2 acres, the second is 6 acres and the third is 5.5 acres. 


These is a picture of dogs I don't know playing at the York dog park.


And this is the only decent picture I could find of the park in Paso Robles. Apparently my beloved Mommy doesn't take enough pictures of me at dog parks...


No comments:

Post a Comment