Monday, January 7, 2013

History

Today I decided to do some research into my heritage.  I know that I was adopted from the pound in San Antonio, Texas at a very young age. According to the vet I am a Catahoula hound/greyhound mix. Most people have never heard of a Catahoula hound and all I know about them is that they were originally bred in Louisiana to hunt wild hogs. 

According to wikipedia.org Catahoula's aren't really hounds, but a cur, which is a mixed-breed or random-breed dog. Catahoula's are an American dog breed and is named after the Catahoula Parish in the state of Louisiana. They are believed to be the first dog breed developed in North America. We are also called the "Catahoula Hog Dog", reflecting the traditional use in hunting wild boar, and in 1979 a bill was signed making Catahoula's the state dog of Louisiana. 

I find that very interesting and it makes sense that I come from working stock. I always seem to have a ton of energy, I love to run and sprint around and my Mom is always telling me I'm a bossy pants. Although, wikipedia.com also said the Catahoula temperament is gentle, intelligent, independent, energetic, inquisitive and loving. I am happy to say those traits definitely describe me! And since the average life span is 10 to 14 years means I still have some great years ahead of me. Here are a few pictures of me on my adoption day almost 8 years ago, hope ya'll enjoy how tiny, cute, and lovable I look.  :D




3 comments:

  1. Really cute blog from a dog's perspective. Very entertaining, and great reading candy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you are finding out about your past life. Self realization is key!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When reading this I often wonder what old dog would have said if he blogged

    ReplyDelete